Healthy Eating Guide For Children
Healthy Eating Guide
Your Healthy Eating Guide from Regina Caterers – To stay fit and healthy throughout your life it is really important that you eat a balanced diet every day.
If you are going to be running and dancing about for an hour each day, you need to make sure you are putting the right food into your body to give you enough energy – otherwise you are just going to zonk out.
Too little food and you won’t have enough energy, too much food and you will have too much energy – just the right amount of the right kind of food and wa-hey you’re good to go!
It’s all about balance, balance, balance.
- Just have a small amount of sugar and salt each day. Try to swap fizzy drinks for water, and don’t have carbonated drinks before bed because it isn’t very good for your teeth and it can keep you awake all night.
- Try to eat five portions of fruit and vegetables a day – or more if you can. Top tips: one portion is about a handful, and juice can only count towards one of your five a day.
- Foods like potatoes, bread, cereals, rice and pasta should make up about a third of the food you eat each day. These are a great source of energy. Try to include them at each of your three main meals each day – breakfast, lunch and evening meal.
- Milk, cheese and yoghurt are great sources of calcium which make teeth and bones strong. You need to make sure you have some every day.
- Meat, fish, eggs and beans give us protein, vitamins and minerals which help us grow strong and healthy – you need some of these every day too. Try to eat these foods at your two main meals each day and to try to have two helpings of fish a week.